Sunday 16 August 2015

I Don't Give A ______

Fill in the blank with whatever you like. Damn, crap, shit, rat's ass, fuck, fuckity crap or if you're totally square, I don't give a care. Or square and quite British, I don't give a bother. Okay I'm done. And that probably doesn't even make sense. Moving on.

It's a good phrase to keep in the back of your mind. And maybe a good principle to apply to life. That's not to say that you have to bulldoze through life like a psychotic bull in a china shop, swearing at the passersby and screaming "I DON'T GIVE A DAMN!!"

But I mean, if that's who you are then all right. You do you. Just do it over there, away from normal people. 

I don't see this as being confrontational. In fact, if you know anything about me, you know that I turn and run away from confrontation of any kind. Unless it's warranted or the only way. I prefer a good old-fashioned talking it out. If that doesn't work and it comes right down to it then you better gear up because it's ass-kicking time! 

I don't give a damn/crap/shit etc is a state of mind. I'm a firm believer in if you think it, whatever it is, and believe it then it will show in you. Say for example that you want to be more confident. Then be confident. I always say to myself, fake it 'til you make it. It's true albeit a little unorthodox. So if you say in your mind, I'm confident, I got this, I can do this, and you act that way, sooner or later you will be that way. 

That principle lends itself to my "I don't give a _____" theory. Too many times I've witnessed people who are too worried about what everyone else thinks and what everyone else wants to live their own life. That is no way to live. I hate when people feel that they have to make decisions around other people. People are so scared of how they're going to look to others and that maybe other people will be mad at them for doing something. Nine times out of ten they won't be like that. If they care about you. But guess what? There's that one time that someone will feel that way and look down on you. So what?! If that's the worst that can happen, take it and move on. That person will eventually come around. And if they don't, then it shows you who really cares. 

That being said, don't be an idiot. Don't be a stubborn, hard-headed fool. It is okay to maintain the not caring what people think mindset and also take advice when needed. Like everything, it's all about a healthy balance. Listen to the advice and opinions given to you. Take them into consideration. As long as in the end you do what's right for you and what makes you happy. Sometimes the decision you make matches the advice given and it's all great and the hills are alive with the sound of music and we all live happily ever after. Sometimes it doesn't. And that's okay too.

Say it in your mind over and over. Make yourself be that strong confident person. Don't let people tell you what to think, what to do or like or who to be. You were not put on this earth to please people or to live your life according to someone else's rules. Find out what you want for yourself, what you want to do to make you happy and go do it. Despite my trips to Imagination Land where I have crazy theories of my past lives, I truly think you only get one shot. (I am NOT saying YOLO because fuck that). One life, one shot. Don't waste it, don't screw it up. Make it worth something.

My fear is that I'm going to wake up one day and look back on my life and say "Oh shit, what did I do? Why didn't I do what I wanted?" I don't want to regret my life. I'm so afraid of that. I'm determined not to let that happen. I do understand that your dreams have to be rooted in reality and that you can't expect everything to be handed to you. You have to make what you want happen for you. And you're not going to do that if you're too busy pleasing the world. Live your life in a way that makes you happy, keep that confident, I don't give a crap attitude in your mind. Don't apologize for being who you are. Just be. 

For once I'm actually taking my own advice. Imagine that! 

It's not an easy feat. Sometimes I find myself thinking, "Oh well maybe I should be more like this" or "Maybe if I do this, I'll get this." But then I quickly find that voice in my head yelling at me and saying that I'm me and that I couldn't be any other way if I tried. Instead of trying to be this way and trying to please this person and whatever else, take a step back. Fill yourself with that confident attitude. Let yourself shine through. Just be you. 

Take my advice. Or don't. I really and truly don't give a---

---damn.

You thought I was going to say fuck, huh? ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment