Sunday 12 July 2015

Let It Go: An Un-Frozen Truth

Sidenote: Before I launch into this, remember this information for later: A "stu cazzo" is an Italian word. It's actually slang that literally means "nothing". Though people use it as an insult or another word for "fuck" or as a derogatory name for someone. Also, "cazzo" means penis. So in effect, you'd be calling someone a dick. I write it as "stu cazz" though many a time it's pronounced as "stugots." Keep all this is mind. 

Let it go.

It's a simple enough suggestion that is far more easier to say than to do. And it was a thing long before Frozen blasted its way onto movie screens and invaded people's lives. 

Forget about the ice queen and her red-haired sister, the noble man and his horse or the adorable snowman who has a penchant for sunshine. This is real. 

Life is often unfair and filled with many hard truths. One of them, maybe the most important is: people are going to treat you like shit. 

Yeah, people are assholes and you're going to come across a few who don't really care about you and treat you accordingly. And it sucks. 

I've been treated like that a few times and I have no patience for it. No one should. I cannot stress how much I want to hammer that principle into everyone's minds. If someone isn't treating you right then it's time to say "bye Felicia." (I've never seen the movie that line comes from, I've only heard people use it and I've been dying to!!)

For me, it all comes down to respect.
Maybe it's some old-school Italian, Godfather-like thing but I believe in it. It all goes back to and ties into respect. If you don't respect me, then I do not have to respect you. You are not worth my time, emotions or thoughts. That's it. Black and white, no grey. There's no in-between when it comes to respect.

One more time for the ones in the back: R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to me. 

If whoever in your life--this lends itself to friends, significant others, maybe family (though that's depending on who, really)--is treating you badly, then screw them. That kind of stuff is toxic and only poisons your life. I'm not saying you should refuse to speak to them or disown them, no. Just don't let their behavior dictate what you do or how you feel. 

If you feel like it's a chore to talk to someone and you're doing it out of anything but genuine desire to talk with them, let it go. When people talk to you only when they have something to say about themselves, let it go. If people expect you to chase them but give you nothing but grief in return, let it go. When respect isn't given, it is not deserved. 

Though I've let go of my own personal no-respect people, I still have the memories of bitterness because it's not quite bitterness in it's true form. It's something that will always be in the back of your mind and if you think about it, you can recall the feeling of anger and/or bitterness. Sometimes you have to remind yourself to let it go a few times. 

And it feels amazing. When you finally do let it go, it's so nice! There is an absolute sweeping happiness that takes over you find yourself laughing. Revenge is great and all that but so is not caring. Believe it or not, when you let it go and decide not to give a shit anymore, you have the power. 

So let it go, feel and relish the sweet airy, zen-like feeling that accompanies it. Sing the song; rejoice! 

The stu cazz never bothered me anyway....

No comments:

Post a Comment